Home > About Our Program
The Premiere Award in Ag Retail Stewardship Around The World
What Is The History?
It started in 1990 when more than 400 dealers from 30 states shared their stories of environmental respect -- having a clean, safe facility, having emergency response plans in place and having spent the time needed to effectively train their people. The Environmental Respect Awards - a program to recognize and promote environmental stewardship in farm supply retailers across the U.S. - was born.
Since 1990, more than 5,000 businesses in the U.S. have participated and more than 300 have earned state awards. In the last two years, the international extension of the Environmental Respect Awards has seen involvement from more than 180 businesses in 18 countries.
For nineteen years, the Environmental Respect Awards has strived to encourage and honor excellence in stewardship, educate retailers and distributors around the world on safe business practices, and promote environmentalism in agriculture to the industry and the general public. The dealers and distributors that are honored with Environmental Respect Awards have displayed outstanding initiative and are shining examples of what it takes to make the world a safer, cleaner place to live.
What Are The Objectives?
- To honor fertilizer/ag chemical retailers who are preserving and protecting the environment by operating their businesses in an environmentally sound manner, to the benefit of their customers, employees and community.
- To provide information on the excellence of these facilities in such a way that other retailers will be encouraged to improve their operation and involve themselves in leadership activities.
- To share good news about environmentally responsible agriculture around the world.
How Are The Awards Structured?
Farm supply retailers from the specified regions around the world request entry kits from CropLife magazine, Farm Chemicals International or a DuPont representative. These retailers then conduct an audit of their own businesses, using the Environmental Respect Self-Audit Entry Booklets, and submit the booklet with supporting photos and documentation to CropLife and Farm Chemicals International for independent, confidential review.
Levels of recognition in the United States:
- Recognition for all who enter.
- A state honor for a business from each state judged to be the best in that state.
- A regional honor to one business from each of five regions.
- A top national award to the business judged to be the best among the regional winners, and identified as the "National Winner" for that year.
Levels of recognition for the international regions:
- Merit Awards for multiple businesses in a country that represent stewardship excellence.
- Country-level honor for the business judged to be best among the merit winners, and identified as the "Country Champion" for each respective country.
- A top regional award for the business judged to be the best among the Country Champions, and identified as the "Champion - Region Name" for that year.
What Accomplishments Are Honored?
- Demonstration of leadership in plant-site compliance, proper application techniques and retail outlet safety of all kinds.
- Display of concern for customer service and safety, and promotion of environmental stewardship among farmer-customers.
- Active participation in environmental stewardship and in safety education for employees, customers and the community.
Additional categories of achievement include:
- Physical Plant Improvements
- Waste Minimization
- Emergency Response Readiness
- Product Safety/Proper Use Education
- Personal Commitment
- Customer Involvement
- Employee Education
- Community Outreach
- Innovative Technology
- Educational Enrichment
What Do Winners Receive?
Environmental Respect Awards - United States
- All who complete the self-audit booklet receive a recognition plaque.
- State winners receive a crystal trophy, and a publicity effort touting their award-winning facility.
- Regional winners receive a crystal trophy, a publicity effort and an expense-paid trip for a company representative and spouse to attend a special event in Washington, D.C. in the summer.
- The National Winner receives a special crystal trophy, a publicity effort and an expense-paid trip for two company representatives to be honored on Capitol Hill. The national winner also has the opportunity to visit one of the winning facilities in another country as an "Ambassador of Respect."
Environmental Respect Awards - International Regions
- Merit winners and all who completed the self-audit booklet receive a congratulatory letter and recognition in Farm Chemicals International magazine as participants.
- Country Champions are awarded a recognition plaque, recognition in Farm Chemicals International magazine, and a publicity effort within their country.
- The top winner from each region receives a special crystal trophy, and a publicity effort touting the award-winning facility. The winning facilities have the opportunity to fly to the United States as "Ambassadors of Respect" where they will be honored on Capitol Hill and will attend an agriculture and sight-seeing tour including a visit to an award-winning facility in the United States.