Now in its 27th year, the Environmental Respect Awards program exists to encourage and honor excellence in stewardship, educate retailers and distributors around the world on safe business practices, and promote environmentalism in agriculture to the industry and to the general public. The dealers and distributors who are honored with Environmental Respect Awards have displayed outstanding initiative and are shining examples of what it takes to make the world a safer, cleaner place in which to live and work.
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES?
- To honor fertilizer/ag chemical retailers who are preserving and protecting the environment by operating their businesses in an environmentally sound manner to the benefit of their customers, employees and community.
- To provide information on the excellence of these facilities in such a way that other retailers will be encouraged to improve their operation and involve themselves in leadership activities.
- To share good news about environmentally responsible agriculture around the world.
WHO MAY ENTER?
The Environmental Respect Awards program is for retail farm supply businesses who store, handle, sell, and/or apply crop nutrient and crop protection products. NOT eligible are retail outlets owned by crop protection companies with an internal research & development organization.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO ENTER?
March 24, 2017
HOW ARE THE AWARDS STRUCTURED?
Farm supply retailers from the specified regions around the world visit www.environmentalrespect.com to enter directly online. These retailers then conduct an audit of their own businesses, using the Environmental Respect Self-Audit Entry Form, uploading photos and supporting documents online for independent, confidential review.
The 2016-2017 program year marks the Environmental Respect Awards’ 27th year honoring ag retailers worldwide.
LEVELS OF RECOGNITION IN NORTH AMERICA (UNITED STATES AND CANADA):
- Recognition for all who enter.
- A state/province honor for a business from each state/province judged to be the best in that state/province.
- A sub-regional honor to one business from each of three U.S regions (East, Central, West) plus Canada.
- A top regional award to the business judged to be the best among the sub-regional winners, and identified as the “Ambassador of Respect North America” for that year.
LEVELS OF RECOGNITION FOR THE INTERNATIONAL REGIONS:
- Recognition for all who enter.
- Merit Awards for multiple businesses in a country that represent stewardship excellence.
- Country-level honor for the business judged to be best among the merit winners, and identified as the “Country Champion” for each respective country.
- Regional awards for the businesses judged to be the best among the Country Champions, and identified as the “Winner – Region Name” for that year.
- For Latin America, we will confer up to four sub-regional awards, at the judges’ discretion: up to three from Brazil, and up to two from Argentina. From among those winners, judges will designate one as “Ambassador of Respect Latin America.”
- For Europe/Middle East/Africa, we will confer up to three sub regional awards, at the judges’ discretion, with one designated “Ambassador of Respect Europe/Middle East/Africa.”
- For Asia-Pacific, we will confer up to three sub-regional awards at the judges’ discretion, with one designated “Ambassador of Respect Asia Pacific.”
Country Champion Award Eligibility: Former regional winners from Latin America, Europe/Middle East/Africa, and Asia Pacific are eligible to be considered for Country Champion in subsequent years if those businesses submit a new Self-Audit form. The judging team in that particular region or country will consider the current submission and decide if it merits consideration by the global judging panel. The global panel reserves the right to affirm or reject regional and country level judging results.
Former winners of country champion and North America state/province awards can resubmit their nominations in any subsequent years to compete for the higher level awards.
WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE HONORED?
Demonstration of leadership in plant-site compliance, proper application techniques and retail safety of all kinds.
Display of concern for customer service and safety, and of environmental stewardship on behalf of farmer-customers.
Active participation in environmental stewardship and in safety education for employees, customers and the community.
Additional categories of achievement include:
- Physical Plant Improvements
- Waste Minimization
- Emergency Response Readiness
- Product Safety/Proper Use Education
- Personal Commitment
- Customer Involvement
- Employee Education
- Community Outreach
- Innovative Technology
- Educational Enrichment
WHAT DO WINNERS RECEIVE?
ENVIRONMENTAL RESPECT AWARDS – NORTH AMERICA
- All who enter receive a recognition certificate.
- State winners receive a crystal trophy, and a publicity effort touting their award-winning facility.
- Sub-regional winners (Western U.S., Central U.S., Eastern U.S., and Canada) receive a crystal trophy, a publicity campaign and an expense-paid trip for a company representative and spouse to be honored at the Environmental Respect Awards Ceremony at the Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, DE in July.
- From those four sub-regions, one is named Ambassador or Respect North America at the Awards Ceremony in Wilmington, Delaware in July, The Ambassador receives a second crystal trophy, and a publicity campaign.
ENVIRONMENTAL RESPECT AWARDS – INTERNATIONAL REGIONS
- Merit winners and all who completed the self-audit online entry form receive a congratulatory letter.
- Country Champions receive a recognition certificate, recognition in AgriBusiness Global® and CropLife® magazines, and a publicity effort within their country.
- The winners from each region receive a special crystal trophy, and a publicity effort publicizing the award-winning facility. The winning facilities have the opportunity to fly to the United States where they will be honored at the Environmental Respect Awards Ceremony at the Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, DE, in July. They also have the opportunity to attend an agriculture and historical tours. Ambassadors of Respect from the three international regions will be revealed at the Awards Ceremony and presented with a second crystal trophy.