Now in its 28th year, Environmental Respect Awards (ERA) is the agricultural industry’s premier stewardship program honoring outstanding work in preserving the environment through safe, responsible business practices.
ERA is sponsored by Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont™, and presented by CropLife® and AgriBusiness Global™ magazines.
Since 1990, ERA has honored crop protection retailers and distributors for their demonstrated environmental stewardship.
Beginning in 2018, ERA also honors seed agents and distributors for their excellence in customer and community engagement in support of seed/trait selection, utilization, and stewardship.
ERA promotes winners as role models, raises awareness of customers’ stewardship and leadership efforts, and demonstrates the commitment of Corteva Agriscience™ to stewardship and sustainability:
“We are driven by our beliefs and our purpose, which is to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come.”
Judging is conducted by panels comprised of a majority of non-Corteva Agriscience™ stakeholders.
The winners of Environmental Respect Awards have displayed outstanding initiative, and are shining examples of what it takes to make the world a safer, cleaner place in which to live and work.
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES?
- To honor fertilizer/ag chemical retailers and seed agents/dealers who are preserving and protecting the environment by operating their businesses in an environmentally sound manner to the benefit of their customers, employees and community
- To provide information on the excellence of these facilities in such a way that other retailers and dealers will be encouraged to improve their operation and involve themselves in leadership activities
- To share good news about environmentally responsible agriculture around the world
WHO MAY ENTER?
The Environmental Respect Awards program is for (1) farm supply businesses who store, handle, sell, and/or apply crop protection products; (2) seed agents/dealers; and (3) organizations that handle both crop protection products and seed.
Former Regional Winners are not eligible to be considered for additional awards until five or more years after their award. Other retail locations from the same distributor are eligible to participate.
Former winners of State/Province and Country Champion awards can re-submit their nominations in any subsequent years to compete for the higher level awards.
NOT eligible are outlets owned by crop protection companies with an internal research and development organization.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Farm supply retailers and seed agents/distributors from the specified regions around the world visit www.environmentalrespect.com to enter the program.
These applicants conduct a self-audit of their own businesses, using the Environmental Respect Self-Audit entry form, and submit the online entry after uploading photos and supporting documents for confidential review.
An independent panel of judges assesses all entries.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO ENTER?
June 20, 2018
HOW ARE THE AWARDS STRUCTURED?
Unlimited Merit Awards are provided for multiple crop protection products (CPP) businesses and/or seed agents/distributors that represent stewardship excellence.
Unlimited State/Province or Country Champion honors are determined for CPP businesses and/or seed agents/distributors from each state/province/country judged to be the best in that geography.
For North America, up to 5 Regional Winner awards are granted to CPP businesses and seed agent/distributors judged to be the best among the state/province winners. Regional Winners from each of three U.S. regions (West, Central, and East) plus Canada are invited to Washington DC for a gala celebration October 1-4, 2018. A top regional award – named as “Ambassador of Respect” – is revealed only at the grand finale of the gala celebration.
For Latin America, we will confer up to 7 Regional awards at the judges’ discretion: Up to 3 from Brazil, 2 from the MesoAndean, and 2 from the Southern Cone.
For Europe/Middle East/Africa, we will confer up to 3 Regional awards, at the judges’ discretion.
For Asia-Pacific, we will confer up to 3 Regional awards at the judges’ discretion.
WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE HONORED?
Demonstration of leadership in compliance, proper material handling and application techniques, and safety of all kinds.
Display of concern for customer success, service and safety, and of environmental stewardship on behalf of farmers and consumers.
Active participation in environmental stewardship and in safety education for employees, customers, and the community.
Specific categories of achievement for crop protection dealers/distributors include:
- Physical plant improvements
- Waste minimization
- Emergency response readiness
- Product safety/proper use education
- Personal commitment
- Customer involvement
- Employee education
- Community outreach
- Innovative technology
- Educational enrichment
Specific categories of achievement for seed agents/distributors include:
- Seed storage and treatment facilities
- Relevant services/ventures
- Personal/business success factors
- Customer success factors, including trait stewardship
- Awareness and engagement in environmental and community concerns
WHAT DO WINNERS RECEIVE?
- All who enter receive a recognition certificate. A Merit Award is provided to each entrant meeting the judges’ minimum criteria.
- State/Province Winners and Country Champions receive a crystal trophy and a publicity effort touting their award-winning achievements.
- Regional Winners receive a crystal trophy, a publicity campaign, and an expense-paid trip for a company representative to be honored at the Environmental Respect Awards event in Washington, DC, in October 2018.
- From each of the 4 regions (North America, Latin America, Europe Middle East Africa, and Asia-Pacific), one Regional Winner is named Ambassador of Respect at the Awards Ceremony, and receives a special crystal trophy and publicity campaign.
All Regional Winners enjoy a 3-day autumn event in Washington, D.C.
Activities include cultural sharing among the winners, embassy and legislative engagement, a field tour of agricultural operations on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, and networking receptions.
Regional Winners are honored at a gala reception and banquet, where they receive their trophies and where the 4 Ambassadors of Respect are revealed. (And a good time is had by all!)